Baked Turkey Empanadas Made with Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast are an easy calorie-conscious snack or quick dinner for the entire family.
This year I promised to bring you some recipes packed with flavor that won’t bust your New Year’s Resolution. Baked Turkey Empanadas Made with Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast are the perfect hand-held snack or dinner on the go.
Did you know that Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast is extra lean with only 120 calories for a 4-ounce serving? And here’s the best part, each of my Baked Turkey Empanadas has only 2 oz. of ground turkey breast so you can eat even more!
And if it’s fat grams you are worried about, you don’t need to because Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast has one 1.5 grams of fat per 4 oz. serving. I don’t know about you but I think I am in love with Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast and these amazing Baked Turkey Empanadas.
These little hand-pies are great for game day, kids lunches and they freeze really well. Let’s ring in the New Year with big flavors and good health!
If you like this recipe you will also like:
Baked Turkey Empanadas
These Empanadas freeze nicely and can be eaten warm, at room temperature and even right out of the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 24 empanadas
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- 2 boxes of refrigerated store-bought pie crust rolls.
- 1 lb. (1 package) Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast
- 1/2 small onion – diced
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package low sodium dry taco seasoning
- 1 small can of green chilies
- 2 TBS salsa
- 1 egg – beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Take pie crust rolls out o the refrigerator and set aside.
To make the filling
- In a stove top skillet, add the olive oil and diced onion; sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast and brown with onions and olive oil.
- Add the can of green chiles, including the juices and stir.
- Add the dry taco seasoning and the salsa and stir.
- Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
To make the Empanadas
- Roll out the pie crust on the counter, with a 4.5-inch cookie cutter or glass jar, cut out four large circles.
- Fill each circle with 2 TBS of the turkey mixture.
- Fold over one side of the pie crust and crimp edges with a fork to ensure they are sealed.
- Brush each empanada with egg and make two small slits in the top of each.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
For this recipe, I use a 6-inch cookie cutter from Amazon.
SHOUT OUT – leave me a comment if you love this recipe!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you think.