This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Baked Turkey Empanadas Made with Jennie-O Ground Ground Turkey Breast are an easy calorie-conscious snack or quick dinner for the entire family.
Baked Turkey Empanadas Made with Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast are the perfect hand-held lunch or dinner on the go. My family loves them for snacking too.
Can I use ground beef or ground chicken?
Yes, you absolutely can use ground beef or chicken. Just substitute either for the ground turkey. You might want to select a leaner ground beef if you are trying to keep this recipe on the healthier side.
Did you know that ground turkey breast is extra lean with only 120 calories for a 4-ounce serving? And here’s the best part…each of my Baked Turkey Empanadas has only 2 oz. of ground turkey breast so you can eat even more!
You might want to make a double batch of these because they freeze so well.
- Let them cool completely after cooking.
- Place 2 – 3 in zip-top bags and place them in the freezer.
- They will be good for 2-3 months – if they last that long.
- Thaw them in the refrigerator or in a lunch box.
- You can eat the room temperature or put them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. (Every microwave is different so you may have to add more time.)
These little hand-pies are great for game day, kids and grown-up lunches or just an afternoon snack. Everyone loves them!
If you like this recipe you may also like these:
- Bow Tie Spinach Pasta Salad
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Bourbon Glazed Salmon Cesar Salad
- Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
These Empanadas freeze nicely and can be eaten warm, at room temperature and even right out of the refrigerator.
- 2 boxes of refrigerated store-bought pie crust rolls.
- 1 lb. (1 package) Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast
- 1/2 small onion – diced
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package low sodium dry taco seasoning
- 1 small can of green chilies
- 2 TBS salsa
- 1 egg – beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Take pie crust rolls out o the refrigerator and set aside.
To make the filling
- In a stove top skillet, add the olive oil and diced onion; sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast and brown with onions and olive oil.
- Add the can of green chiles, including the juices and stir.
- Add the dry taco seasoning and the salsa and stir.
- Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
To make the Empanadas
- Roll out the pie crust on the counter, with a 4.5-inch cookie cutter or glass jar, cut out four large circles.
- Fill each circle with 2 TBS of the turkey mixture.
- Fold over one side of the pie crust and crimp edges with a fork to ensure they are sealed.
- Brush each empanada with egg and make two small slits in the top of each.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex