This is another edition of my Eat More Turkey series. I’ve partnered with Jennie-O this year to create and share delicious and health turkey recipes and you’re gonna love Bake Turkey Chimichangas.
My husband, Vince, loves chimichangas but I realized he’s never really said that. I know because any time we go to a Mexican restaurant, one of his go-to orders is a Chimichanga. I, on the other hand, usually stick to a fajita because they are (or at least I think they are) more healthy. And I know they are not deep fried like most restaurant versions.
I was very excited when I received my package from Jennie-O this month and it was Ground Turkey Breast, I knew immediately one of the things I would make is a Baked Turkey Chimichanga…all of the flavor and a lot less of the calories and fat.
For this recipe I also used a little corn cut right off the cob because we had a couple of ears left over from the night before. And after adding the corn, I don’t think I’ll ever make these any other way.
I served the Chimichangas with a little store-bough picante sauce, sour cream and an avocado and tomato salad.
Since my recipe make 8 large Baked Turkey Chimichangas I froze several of them. So go ahead and make them all and freeze them for those quick dinner nights or school/work lunches.Print
Baked Turkey Chimichanga
Cut the calories and fat by using Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Healthy
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- 1 lb. (1 package) Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast
- 1/2 onion – diced
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup store bought picante sauce (you can substitute by using salsa)
- 1/2 envelope low sodium dry taco seasoning
- 2 ears of corn – cooked and removed from the cob
- 8 large sized soft taco tortillas
- 2 TBS melted butter or margarin
- 1 bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
For the garnish
- Sour cream
- Picante or salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a stove top pan, heat olive oil for 3 minutes, add diced onions and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast and cook until done.
- Add picante, spices and taco seasoning.
- Cook on medium low for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Lay out the tortillas (I do four at a time).
- Place 8 TBS of Turkey mix in the middle of each tortilla.
- Top each with 2-3 TBS of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Assemble the tortilla by folding in the two side to the middle, then the bottom up to the middle and then the top down to the middle – making sure the top and bottom overlap.
- Place them seam-side down on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with garnishes and serve.