An interesting mix of flavors that work together deliciously. From the deep flavors of the tomatoes, to the smooth creamy eggs to the crunchy finish of pita strips. This dish is worthy of serving to special friends and family. It’s a perfect on-pot dish for brunch…while you linger over a nice mimosa and dig into comfort food at it’s best.
Baked Eggs – UVO
- CRUNCHY PITA STRIPS
- 2 small whole-wheat pitas – cut into strips
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 onion – diced small
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS orange zest
- 1 TBS dried oregano
- 1 TBS capers
- 3 TBS grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 3 eggs
- Pita strips
- 1 small handful of fresh parsley
- CRUNCHY PITA CHIPS
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss pita strips with olive oil and salt and pepper
- Bake for 10-15 minute.
- Watch them carefully so they do not burn.
- Remove from oven and set aside
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook diced onions in olive oil on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes (including juice), orange zest, oregano, capers, salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer and cook without lid for 15 minutes.
- Place it in the oven until the eggs are set on top – about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with parsley, grated cheese and pita chips.