This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Award Winning Vegetarian Zucchini Boats are made with roasted vegetables and then re-baked for deep vegetable flavors. And they really did win an award!
Why do I call these Award Winning Vegetarian Zucchini Boats? It’s because they were one of the winning dishes in a recent cooking contest I was in. We recently had a team-building event with my company and it turned out to be a cooking contest. We were split into teams and all given the same ingredients. As each course was completed, we delivered our prize dishes to the chef who took them to the back room where the staff tasted and judged each one.
This winning vegetable dish is simply roasted vegetables cut into small pieces, stuffed into hollowed zucchini, topped with breadcrumbs and cheese and roasted again.
By roasting the vegetables first, we were able to get the deep flavors and ensure that they were fork tender. We liked these so much that when I got back from the trip and the event, I immediately made them for Vince (hubs). And of course, he loved them!
Try another one of my recipes:
If you like this recipe, you’ll also like:
Award Winning Vegetarian Zucchini Boats are made with roasted vegetables and then re-baked for deep roasted vegetable flavors. And they really did win an award!
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 small onion or 2 shallots
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 4 TBS breadcrumbs
- 4 TBS finely grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Slice zucchini length-wise.
- With a small spoon, scoop out the pulp leaving a 1/4 inch shell.
- Slice the red pepper in half and remove the seeds and core.
- Slice the onion in half.
- Place all of the vegetables on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the zucchini shells and place the other vegetable back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Let all of the vegetables cool for 15 minutes.
- Set the oven on broil
- Dice the pepper, onion, and mushrooms into small pieces.
- Divide the chopped vegetables between the four boats.
- Top with breadcrumbs and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Broil for 5 minutes (watch them carefully so the cheese does not burn).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American