Get ready for your family to devour this dish…cheesy, creamy, yummy potatoes. It looks like a lot of work but it’s actually very easy and it will quickly become a family favorite.
Au Gratin Scalloped Potatoes
- 4 large russet potatoes, washed, peeled and sliced thin. (These can be sliced by hand but if you have a mandolin you can get a much more consistent slice.)
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and sliced into thin ring (same size as the potatoes)
- 3 TBS flour
- 3 TBS butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (we like a sharp cheddar in this dish)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Start with potatoes and place a layer covering the bottom of the dish, next layer with onions, again with a layer of potatoes and continue until all onions and potatoes are in the casserole dish. Set aside.
- In sauce pan on the stove top, melt butter on medium, add flour and whisk, about 2 minutes, add milk and continue whisking constantly until the mixture begins to thicken (this may take 3-5 minutes).
- Add the cheese and once the cheese is fully incorporated, remove from heat.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the potato/onion layers. Cover with foil and bake for 1.5 hours.